Saturday 11 January 2014

The Very Hungry Caterpillar- a learning story Edison.

 

The Very Hungry Caterpillar

A while back when I was still in TAFE I had to learn to write observations in the form of learning stories for children, This story came about after Edison read me a book we had read many times. Learning stories are useful as they allow milestones to be looked at objectively, they allow positive reflection and are a good way of tracking a childs development and are more personal than running observations. Here it is:

The Very Hungry Caterpillar- A learning story for Edison.
Name: Edison

Age: 36 months                                                                                     Date: 12/06/13

Dear Edison,
This afternoon you brought me your favorite book; The Very Hungry Caterpillar, I thought you wanted me to read it to you but when I reached out to take the book you said “No mummy, I reee it you” and you sat beside me holding the book.

Your forehead wrinkled, you where concentrating very hard. You cleared your throat just like Daddy does and asked me “ah yoo comforbel?” to which I replied “yes I am thank you” and you began to tell me a story, but it wasn’t the story the words told. You told me a story with the pictures. 

You said “eeh A egg” and “eyes ohr moon” as you pointed at the illustrations of the moon on the next page you said “cahpilla sad” pointing at the caterpillar crawling in the dirt under the bright morning sun. 
Then you got creative babbling at a speed I couldn’t keep up with about the caterpillar before continuing the story “Eeh eat a appool cahpilla fun” then you pointed and told me very matter of factly “pears” and “strawberries” and turned the page. You smiled and told me “cake”, “pizza” and “wolly pot” and then pointed at the caterpillar with the stomach ache and said “cahpilla is sad” you turned the page and emphasized “BIG FAT CAHPILLA” before ignoring the cocoon and turning the page. “where gone cahpilla?” you asked with your hands raised and palms up and turned the page to exclaim “There eeh is! Buffa-fwy” then you said “finished” and signed finish at the same time and put the book back on the book shelf all by yourself. You seemed very pleased with yourself.
This experience was significant because you initiated the story time and read to me, I noticed you are very interested in emotions right now and are starting to show caring towards others and are beginning to think about how others might be feeling. You are certainly Becoming more assertive and independent. I wonder if you would like to play the emotions game app?

Love from Mum.


Please note that Edison had a speech delay as a toddler and so his telling me a story, was a very big deal to me.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment