Friday 6 June 2014

A fourth birthday letter to Edison.

To My Dearest Edison.

It finally happened. Thursday, not just any Thursday June 5th. My eldest child turned four. My little "big boy" has finally grown out of the "Older Toddler" stage and into the fully fledged "Small Child" stage.

I remember your birth like it was yesterday. Labor was days long, Baby bigger than average, unwanted interventions galore and a rocky start but still a natural birth and we found ourselves eventually getting to know each other though through months of PND and little hiccups as we learned to navigate the medical system, learning our rights and responsibilities and wishing we'd bothered to learn them before your birth so I knew I could say "no thank you" and learning the phrase "they let me" is just as dis empowering as "they wouldn't let me" oh by the time I had Kicky I was ready for them I only wish I'd known before. But you were still here my Edison and I love, celebrate and treasure you.

We learned together how to filter through any and all options and we learned the niceties of the education system because main stream education has never been a comfortable thing for me; though Daddy still would like you to attend school at some stage we're going to follow your lead there and for now you're doing well with Home Kindergarten. When you're ready we'll ask your thoughts on it.

We've seen you through your highest highs such as when you triumphantly learned to read simple childrens books or ride a bike and your lowest lows when you had a trampoline accident and broke your leg and I stayed with you throughout your hospital stay despite just having had surgery myself I slept on a cot next to your bed and Kicky came along too while Daddy valiantly worked, fed our animals and watered our vegetable gardens. Because we're all in it together little one.

I've watched as you've made friends and navigated the social circles we are in. Working out what you can get away with, what you cannot and what makes others happy. I've watched you mentor your little brother, showing him the way so he has it easier than you did- and also letting him tag a long as your partner in crime! I've watched as like me your love of animals has simply grown and you've come to me with birds with broken wings and sick rabbits and helped wash dogs. The local veterinary clinic knows you well and you melt their hearts when you asked to help them feed and cuddle homeless kittens.

I watched your red hair grow long and unruly and then I watched the day you decided you wanted to get it cut and picked a photograph and showed it to their hair dresser and she replicated it for you. You've kept the same hair cut all by yourself ever since deciding that this is "your look" telling me when you need it cut again.You're a very self determining boy. I love your confidence.

I love how you are like your dad and have an affinity for technology- you certainly didn't inherit that from me but one of us needs to be able to work the home appliances and computer programs! Maybe one day I'll watch you enough to learn how myself.

You've been "working" collecting bottles and cans for extra money for seven months and have never failed to find at least fifty bottles and cans before depot day each week. You take your "job" so seriously. But you're a master saver and haven't yet spent your money preferring to put it in the bank and watch the numbers go up.

Daddy and I have seen your challenges too and we're here with you when you face them. You can do anything my Edison. We aren't in a hurry to see you grown though we know you are, Don't be discouraged sooner than you can imagine you will be. I've yet to see the challenge you've not been able to accomplish. And we will be here, doing our very best to love, guide and help you.

Unconditionally love Mum (and Dad).

No comments:

Post a Comment