Friday 23 May 2014

Kid Radars and Cold Toast

This is a story backtracking to when Kicky was a very young infant and Edison was just barely two years old. It doesn't seem that long ago.


I hate cold food, there I said it. I love all sorts of food but frankly I intensely dislike cold food that's supposed to be hot OR food that has been reheated.

Further more I could swear kids have a "mother is eating radar"  (also doubles as a mother showering, on phone or in the middle of sex radar)

And this radar is subject directly in proportion to A, how much I like the food and B, how quickly the food will cool down or warm up depending on what it is and how much I will hate the reheated version.

Today I was preparing a late breakfast because it was 9AM and the kids had managed to keep me busy for the past 3 hours by asking me for random stuff. WELL I wasn't gonna be caught out this time.

I had sliced my cheese and had the butter open and ready and the put the toast in the toaster. All was quiet with Kicky napping and Edison playing just outside the door in the sandbox. Bliss.

Toast popped and I immediately got it ready. About to take first bite of delicious hot cheese toast when I hear a tiny complaint from Nicholas direction, I ignore it he's not dying. That must've displeased someone because only seconds later an agonizing scream erupted from outside and made me drop the toast and race out there as fast as I could. Edison. COVERED in bull ants.

 
(Ants not usually this close to home they'd found a corpse our cat put there overnight)
I picked him up double time as they stung us both repeatedly and put him in the shower- clothes and all then stripped him down. They where everywhere. Even in his pants. I honestly can say when I became a mother I never pictured picking ants off of baby genitals And when they sting it feels like fire. I can only imagine how much this hurt him.

 
Poor Edison. Eventually his screaming stops and he's just whimpering in the cold water of the shower, crisis over I turn off the tap and wrap him lightly in a towel then let him go be naked for a few minutes.. 

while I eat my cold toast.

The End.

No comments:

Post a Comment