Monday 28 April 2014

Not Sleeping- an update.

You may remember my post labelled "8 days and counting.. with almost no sleep" if you don't it's the post right before this one. And this post is an update on how things are going now.

At this point I am basically reteaching my toddler how to go to sleep and stay asleep. We are not rushing things as if I push him even slightly too hard he becomes inconsolable which results in him going backwards and to top it off wakes the rest of the house.

SO I've done a couple things to make this easier on myself and MC. The first was that the kids bedroom door stays open and we are just quieter. A pain but captions on a movie work just fine. The second thing I did was I placed our spare double mattress back in their room and stayed in the bed long enough to put my scent in the sheets. This was for two reasons the first so that our little people had somewhere to go to sleep that they felt connected but we had space in our main bed so MC could get a decent sleep. And secondly so I could join them later if one or both woke up (I am also gently holding them down until they fall back to sleep otherwise Kicky will get back up and want to play).

Because my main concern is not even my own sleep but that of my husbands and he should not have to leave his bed because it's so cramped he can't sleep. The mattress set up in the boys room works better. I put the mattress right between their beds so we have all the space we could possibly need and if by chance MC misses us he can come join us too. After three nights of sleeping either together or with me the boys were happy to get in their own beds- this was their choice now that they knew I was close by and would remain so as long as they needed- they then wanted their own space.

And then last night I put them to bed in their beds, mattress between as before but they didn't wake and I went to bed with MC and woke up around 5AM as my body clock is now rewired to do so thanks to the constant waking for over two weeks. And I did move myself into the floor bed. Because I missed the boys.

I will be leaving the double mattress set up for a couple more weeks but only so that the kids don't think I'm planning to abandon them. That would make them revolt. instead I'll wait until no one has slept there for a few nights and explain that we don't need to keep it out anymore.

So there you have it. what we did to get them back into their sleep routine. The where is not as important as the sleep to us so we're very happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment